Salad without the greens

Photo by: Chad Morgan

Corn Salad

Last week I was challenged to become the food coordinator for a 9 person Bible study group. The reason I say challenged is because I have never cooked for 9 people, and these are 9 people that I don’t know well yet.
So my first thought was to find out if anyone in the group had food allergies? Or food restrictions?

Those are all very important questions to address when cooking for a large group. I do not want anyone's throat to close or worse.  After I found the answers that I was looking for, I then had to tackle another obstacle.


The Bible study teacher said to make sure all the snacks were healthy. And she meant business!  However, I live with the mantra that everything is good in moderation. So this is the bigger challenge. Normally I do not cook with the idea of being healthy. I also think, for many people, the term healthy is scary. I mean, I would not serve anyone a stick of fried butter. But is being healthy boring?

On the contrary, preparing healthy food allows so much room for the imagination and creativity. This week I made a corn salad, it’s the spin-off of everything that I love about my regular lettuce salad. Substituting the lettuce, of course. Enjoy this recipe and the next few weeks, I will attempt to make all dishes with a healthy spin.


<3

  Ingredients:


¼ cup of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 table spoon of fresh lime juice
¼ tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorn
2 tablespoon of dried basil
2 ears of corn
1 ½ cups of halved cherry tomatoes
½ cup of chopped cucumber
¼ cup of red onion
¼ cup of feta cheese

Directions:

In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, basil and garlic. Set aside.
Remove corn husk, there are multiple methods for it’s removal. For this recipe, 2 clean ears of corn were wrapped in foil, buttered and sprinkled with salt and peppercorn.  Placed in the oven on 350 degrees for 25 mins.
3 Cut cherry tomatoes in half, chopping red onions, and cucumbers. Combine in a large salad bowl.
4 Let corn cool before cutting corn off the cob and into a salad bowl. Combine with the tomatoes cucumber, onion. Drizzle with the olive oil mix and toss so all items are coated.
5 Sprinkle feta cheese on top. Serve cold or as is.


Connect with me:
@SheenaRhae- Twitter
Dishandsip.blogpost.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oxtail Stew

Peanut butter granola pie; borrowed recipe

Same dish; New Preparation