Light and fluffy rum cake

Cherry Rum Cake


When I lived in New Orleans, I sampled everything. The creole food, the parades, the atmosphere, and, of course the alcohol.

One of my favorite things to partake in was the drive through daiquiri shops. The music was always loud, the daiquiris were always good and that was the place to be. Looking back, I realize how dumb it was to get an alcoholic beverage and drive off with it. However, those were the younger years.

As I scroll drown memory lane, I am reminded of all the crazy drinks that I had in New Orleans. From the hand grenades to the Hurricanes: Category 5. And extra shots of ever clear in everything. 

This was also the first time I was exposed to vodka soaked cherries. Within minutes of eating one, I was intoxicated. Who knew a cherry could hold that much alcohol yet be so smooth and still sweet. That was the inspiration behind this cherry rum cake.

Soaked cherries in rum with cake batter. The idea swirled around my mind, and I had to try this. Take a traditional rum cake and bake in the crushed soaked cherries.

It’s an instant hit, like a multi-platinum record. If you don’t try it, you’re missing out.

Ingredients:

1 cup of cherries
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (15 ounce) yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark rum

Directions:

1 Soak 1 cup of cherries in ½ cup of rum for 24 hours.
2 The next day use a sifter to juice the cherries and remove the seeds at the same time.
3 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts and   ½ of the sifted cherries evenly over the bottom of the pan.
4 In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix. Mix in the eggs, 1/2 cup water, oil and 1/2 cup rum with the sifted cherries and cherry juice. Blend well. Pour batter over chopped nuts and cherries in the pan.
5 Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a serving plate.


Connect with me:
@SheenaRhae- Twitter

Dishandsip.blogpost.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oxtail Stew

Peanut butter granola pie; borrowed recipe

Same dish; New Preparation