Simply delicious

Simply delicious

 

 The month of May holds a very special day to my heart: Mother’s day. And, since my mom is over 600 miles away, I have to be very creative in showing my love for her. That is why I have decided to cook all of my mom’s favorite foods this month.
There was once a time when my mom banned me from the kitchen completely. It happened right after I burnt some breakfast bacon. Her very words were, “How the hell you burn bacon in the oven? This is the easiest way to make it. All I asked you to do was watch it, and you can’t even do that.”

I share this with you because it’s funny. However, at the time it was not. But that is my mom, all wrapped in a hard outer shell, and overcome with emotion by the thoughtfulness of a Mother’s day card.

We usually share greeting cards throughout the year and what I know most about my mom is that she is a woman who enjoys life simplicities. She finds happiness in speaking to me each day and our nightly prayers. She loves baking cakes for birthdays and taking pictures of her family at family gatherings.

When I asked my mom what her favorite dishes were, she said” Ox tails, Rabbit, Corn beef and steak.” But, because she grew up in rural North Carolina, I was hoping she didn’t say her favorite food were: Ox tail, rabbit, squirrel and deer. That would have messed me all up. Where the heck would I buy deer and squirrel? Would I have to set up traps?  I mean, it’s been difficult finding rabbit, but thanks to some county folks I know here in Georgia, I have enough rabbit to cook at the end of the month.

This week’s meal.

Steak and egg noodles:   

Ingredients:

2 T- bone steaks

¼ cup of olive oil, plus more for rub

2 table spoons of seasoning salt

2 table spoons of salt

2 table spoons of garlic salt

2 table spoons of black peppercorn

1 tablespoon of minced garlic

5 sprigs of rosemary, chopped

1/2 cup white onion, roughly chopped

1/2 cup bell pepper, roughly chopped

 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Rub steak with olive oil and season with salts, peppercorn, garlic, and rosemary.  Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat and sauté the onions and peppers.  

Brown steak on both sides, then transfers them to the oven for 20-25 minutes. (I like to wrap my steaks in foil before placing in the oven; helps to keep all of the juices)

Tops the steaks with the sautéed onions and peppers served over buttered egg noodles with flat parsley.

 

Comments

  1. Awww how bless you are to have a mother with such creative taste buds! Looking forward to seeing these wonderful dishes. I'm also thinking of preparing that steak meal this week for my husband! Thanks Sheena!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both will love it. Best steak I've had in a long time. Very flavor full.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oxtail Stew

Peanut butter granola pie; borrowed recipe

Same dish; New Preparation