Oxtail Stew


Oxtails are interesting for a few reasons. The most obvious reason is that it's literally OX tail. This is a meat that can be prepared so many ways, and the longer it cooks, the more tender and flavor filled the meat becomes.

Although I've had oxtails before, it was not until recent years, that I knew what an oxtail looked like. My mother is partly to blame for this.

She is the type of woman that likes her food fresh. So fresh that if an Ox could be found within 5 miles of D.C., she would lace up her boots, put on some fatigues and go hunting.  With that being said, we ate everything as kids from deer to rabbit and scrapple to souse meat. For those that do not know, souse meat is usually pig ears, feet and head.  For this reason alone, I do not consider myself a picky eater. However you cannot ask me to try monkey brains and expect me to place a handkerchief in my lap. It takes some deception and creativity to get me to eat certain foods. And boy, was I deceived the first time I had oxtails.

Here is what I have learned with food: If at first it does not taste great to you, try it again. I know it’s a weird thing to consider, but not ever meal is prepared the same. How someone from the Caribbean prepares oxtail is going to be different than how someone from an African country may prepare it.

In the words of Julia Child: “This is my advice to people: Learn how to cook, try new recipes, learn from your mistakes…and above all have fun.”

Ingredients:
3 pounds of oxtails
1 garlic salt
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 cups of tomato sauce
1 cup of Barbeque sauce
4 red potatoes
½ cup of chopped carrots
½ cup of celery
½ cup of onion
4 cups of chicken/beef stock
1 fresh bay leaf
Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
4 cups of chicken stock
1 clove of garlic
¼ cup of canola oil


1.       Rinse oxtails and dry with paper towels. Seasoning all sides with the dry ingredients.  Rub the dry seasonings into the meat to seal in the flavors.
2.        In a large pot, heat ¼ cup oil. Sear the oxtail until browned on both sides. Remove from heat and set aside.  
3.       Add all chopped vegetables to the same heated oil and quickly saute.
4.       Add chicken stock, tomato sauce and bbq sauce to pot of veggies. Be sure to scrap any meat or fat of the bottom of the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil. Return the oxtails to the pot while adding the , bay left, garlic clove, and vinegar.
5.       Let boil for 2 hours. Then reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 mins.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peanut butter granola pie; borrowed recipe

Same dish; New Preparation