Same dish; New Preparation

Same dish; New Preparation
 
 
When I first began to cook, my mom started me with the basics. Bacon, eggs, grits, and grilled cheese. I literally ate breakfast for lunch, dinner, and snacks too.
But it wasn’t until I moved out on my own that I learned to cook other things. Tacos, pastas and desserts were my favorite. Not only were they easy to make, but they were also easy to change up. The varieties were endless. I made shrimp pasta, chicken pasta, shrimp and chicken pasta. Ground beef tacos and ground turkey tacos every week. Amazingly, I never grew tired of the same mundane meals. However, in looking back, I do feel bad for the people that I invited to dinner because every week, same dish; new preparation.
The one thing that each of those meals had in common was the lack of inventiveness.  Thus, hundreds of boxed tacos later, I think it is only fitting that I redeem myself of those seasoning packets, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream days.
Steak tacos!
INGREDIENTS
2 pound skirt steak
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of sea salt
½  Jalapeño Pepper
½ cup roughly cut fresh cilantro (stem and leaves)
1 quartered white onion
1 table spoon minced garlic
4 cherry tomatoes
1 quarter red onions
1 can corn
cabbage
queso cheese
corn tortilla, warmed

 1.       For steak marinade, mix dry ingredients together with cilantro, minced garlic, 2 cherry tomatoes, jalapeno without seeds and white onion. Mix in blender with 1/4th cup of water until ingredients form a paste. Placing the steak in a large dish, pour marinade over it. Tightly wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate together for 1 hours.
2.       Preheat oven to 450.
3.       Heat a large skillet with your choice of oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the drained can of corn and red pepper flakes.  Mix/stir occasionally until corn is slightly charred. Remove corn and as much of the flakes as possible from the oil.
4.       In the same pan, add the steak just long enough brown on each side. Remove from the heat and tightly wrap in foil then place in the oven for 10-12 mins.
5.       Allow meat to cool before slicing/ pulling apart depending on the cut of beef you chose.
 
You are now ready to build your taco using the corn tortilla, corn with red peppers, cabbage, red onions, the remaining cherry tomatoes thinly chopped and queso.
 
Enjoy!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oxtail Stew

Peanut butter granola pie; borrowed recipe