Italian Pasta and Broccoli

This weekend, I decided to give up on fast foods. Not because of any bad experiences, but because of the amount of money that I’m spending on food that makes me say, “meh!”  And, although I do realize that meh! is not a work, it is used to describe something that does not evoke any pleasure.

Honestly speaking, five dollars here and there really adds up. By the end of the month, I’ve spent 50 dollars at these neighborhood fast food spots. I could have gotten a pedicure and a leg massage, with 20 -30 dollars left over for something else. Back to my fugal, thrifty self. 

When I went to buy the food for this weekend’s posting, I was in awe of how much money I spent. Nine dollars and some change. This nine dollars will make 4 servings of food, for a single person such as myself, but can feed a family of four. Seriously, think about how this could help you... With most spaghetti, you get a full serving of veggies. And who doesn’t like their veggies… 

I know this post is going to make me sound like a cheap-o; I really don’t care. I’ve been called worse. My aunt once said that I’m so cheap; I could squeeze the ink off a dollar bill. And that is just fine with me!

I have made this dish before, and today it is as good it was then. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 package Johnsonville Italian Sausage Links
1 package (16 oz.) linguine pasta noodles
3 Tbsp. olive oil
½ cup sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 can (14.5 diced tomatoes (basil, oregano… mix) Italian tomatoes, diced
2 cups broccoli florets

 Directions:

Cut sausage into ¼-inch slice, best to cut when slightly frozen.
Prepare pasta according to package directions. (Bring water to a boil, add noodles for 10 minutes stirring occasionally and drain water from pot) Keep ¼ cup of pasta water.
In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add sliced sausages to the hot pan with and cook until both sides are browned.
4 Add the ¼ cup of pasta water, slightly scrapping the bottom of the sauté pan.  Add can tomatoes, then bring to a simmer and cover.
Add the broccoli and cooked pasta. Allow to simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. 


Connect with me:
@SheenaRhae- Twitter
Dishandsip.blogpost.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oxtail Stew

Peanut butter granola pie; borrowed recipe

Same dish; New Preparation